Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why Read Young Adult Literature? A Digital Story

It's rough draft time!

After many, many hours spent fruitlessly struggling to make a video on PhotoStory3 only to hit a brick wall and ultimately have to scrap my efforts and try a new program...

And many, many more hours spent learning how to use imovie and then creating this video entirely on my iphone....

AT LONG LAST my rough draft is finally ready to go!

Special thanks to my husband, who is such a good sport that he graciously agreed to narrate this for me, since I've been sick for the past few weeks and I couldn't stop coughing long enough to record my narration!

I welcome any feedback. 

Especially the kind that goes, "it's perfect as is, I wouldn't change a thing". ;) 


I would share this with high school students at the beginning of the year, to show them that the kinds of books that they enjoy are also enjoyed by adults. I would also hope that it might spark the start of a class conversation about books that they particularly enjoyed.

Did you use PhotoStory3 or imovie? What did you think of the program you chose?

6 comments:

  1. As a teacher of middle and high school students, I constantly see books of the YA genre in the hands of my kids. This is great, particularly for English/Language Arts teachers. It's so important to know WHY kids read what they read, so we know how to reach them with topics they might not initially be enthusiastic about. It can totally change our approach. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. Can I post it to #engchat on Twitter, or do you want to share your own blog post that way? It would be great to see how some English teachers respond to your post and your video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, this is great! I'm having my 8th graders complete a book project for the month of May using a book of their choice. I'm thinking of using your digital story as a hook, if that's okay with you. Sometimes I feel as though my students don't know what's out there for them to read. They've all read the Hunger Games, but I think they'd be interested in the other novels as well. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamee - Definitly feel free to use this! I'd love to see it actually get used in a classroom.

      Delete
  4. I've never considered YA a guilty pleasure (except the Twilight series since the writing is...eh), but it would be great for some reluctant readers to know that something they like isn't childish, and in fact well received by people they may look up to :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I love the fact that you were able to create this Digital Story and even edit it on your phone the many perks of mobile devices. Your Digital story had a great flow and it was nice that you had a backup for your narration since you weren’t able to do it yourself. It all came together very well!

    ReplyDelete