Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Experimenting with Google Sites

I really enjoyed experimenting with Google Sites and creating my own site. I was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive this process was.

I'm not a classroom teacher, so in approaching what kind of site to make I just chose a topic that interests me and ran with it.

I created a site that is meant to serve as a brief introduction to the world of Young Adult literature. It's obviously not finished, because the purpose of this exercise was simply to experiment with creating a website using Google Sites... but if you'd like to check it out, you can click here.

I basically created a home page, on which I would include a brief definition of Young Adult literature, and some basic information like:

  • a list of book blogs that review Young Adult literature
  • information about GoodReads, a site that lets users log the books they have read or want to read
  • twitter accounts which discuss Young Adult literature 

Then I created sub-pages, one for each sub-genre of Young Adult literature. I included on each page a few examples of books that fall into that sub-genre. I imported pictures of some of my own books for each category to make the site more visually appealing.

What was your experience with this project like? I thought Google Sites was pretty easy to navigate, and I was impressed with how much flexibility a free service offered. This is definitely something I could see myself using in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I really like the idea of creating a website that focuses solely on young adult literature. I was thinking about creating something similar for whatever grade I teach next. I feel as though students sometimes don't know where to begin when looking for books to read and it would be extremely beneficial to have somewhere to go to find books about topics they're interested in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamee! I think this is a great idea for your future classroom. You could make sure that you list some books you have personally read, so if students are unsure about which book to choose, you could give them personal feedback and help them make a choice that's a good fit for them.

      Delete