Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Final Course Reflections

I can't believe the semester is drawing to a close and it's time to write my final course reflections!

I have really enjoyed this course immensely. I've had so much fun exploring each of these new technologies and implementing them in various ways. In particular, I've really appreciated the time spent honing my blogging skills. It has been incredibly helpful to kind of be forced to update my blog and comment on my classmates' blogs regularly. It can be tough to make the time to focus on community engagement, but it really is such a wonderful and important part of blogging. I've also found myself focusing more on things like incorporating videos, pictures and links into my posts. I've started making more deliberate choices in labels. I've worked to develop a clear voice. I think my blogging has improved because of this course.

Another part of this course that I particularly appreciated was learning how to create digital stories. I had such a great time creating my digital story and learning how to use imovie. (I'm now more desperate than ever for a MacBook Pro!) This is something that I would have been intimidated to try in the past. I amazed myself with the level of enthusiasm that I had for this project. I happily spent hours reworking my digital story until I was completely happy with it. I'm already planning a few more projects that I'd like to make with imovie. I can't wait to keep exploring with this tool.

I think I pretty much said all I need to say about Popplet, but suffice it to say I see a lot of hours in my future spent on that site!

I managed to accept the loss of Google Reader, and even happily embraced a new reader, and taught our class a little about using Feedly.

I created and implemented a literacy project - with students in Ohio!

We've covered a lot of technologies in this course, and I have enjoyed them all.

In addition, this course has really made me take stock of just how much passion I have for blogging and social media. I have been blogging personally for several years now, but it's something I have always regarded as a hobby. The first page of my iphone is filled with various blogging and social media applications. I check Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest a hundred several times per day. I follow dozens of blogs which I read regularly. I'm a member of several different message boards. I write a book review blog, and I'm toying with starting a Disney fan blog or a personal blog (or both!). I spend a huge amount of my free time glued to my computer. I am always looking for the new great thing out there on the internet, but for some reason I have never really thought in terms of making my love of these various technologies anything more than a hobby.

This course has allowed me to spend a great deal of time further exploring these technologies. It has made me realize that I would like to make a career in blogging and social media. I have recently begun applying for jobs in this field and I couldn't be happier about it. I am looking forward to putting the skills that I have honed in this course to good use both personally and professionally!

What was your favorite part of this course?

2 comments:

  1. I would agree with your observations. The most benenficial part of the class for me was learning how to work with Google documents. I had no experience with them, but have already integrated them into my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I had used lots of technology in my personal life but had not implemented it to its fullest potential in my classroom. I still feel like I am not using it in every aspect I could be (but there are only so many hours in the day!). I really like using iMovie for the Digital Story. It was easy, user friendly, and my students loved seeing their work displayed on the SmartBoard. I'm so impressed that you worked with a class from Ohio, so neat!

    ReplyDelete